Countdown to Disney Princess Half Marathon

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Run Wild for the Detroit Zoo 5k race recap

As my alarm clock was buzzing at 6am this morning, I thought to myself, "I have lost my mind, I just paid $30 to wake up at 6am to run 3.1 miles".  I am still trying to get use to this new lifestyle!

My first impression of the Run Wild for the Detroit Zoo race was, WOW!  Traffic was backed up all the way on to the expressway.  I didn't realize this was such a huge event!  This was the 2nd biggest event I have ran to date.  The Race for the Cure was the biggest event, but it was much more relaxed and there weren't any official times.  So, this was by far the biggest "Race" I have run,  yet

Mom, me, Sindi, and Chelsea
As Sindi, Chelsea (Sindi's friend), Mom and I headed to the start line we decided on run/walk/run intervals of 45 seconds running and 15 seconds of walking.  This is first time we tried this interval sequence. We typically run 1 minute and walk 1 minute, so this was a big change.  We started out the race walking since it was so congested in the starting area.  I was getting frustrated with the crowd, so I broke away from my group and ended up running on my own today.  Running alone isn't as much fun as running with friends.  I made the best of my time alone and was able to focus on my breathing, which I still have a hard time remembering to breath in my nose, not my mouth.  I was running along at a great pace, and I decided I liked the new interval times.  As I was running through the streets of Huntington Woods, I was blaring my new itunes purchases and feeling great, no knee pain, and then there was a hill at mile 2.30... I pushed through, but it slowed me down some.  Lesson learned, start Hill Training!!!  After the hill, along with the difference in intervals, I felt my body slowing down.  Just when I wanted to walk through my run intervals I saw the Zoo sign and I knew the end was near!

I am in the purple off to the right of the screen
I rounded the corner into the Zoo parking lot and I saw the finish line and I was so excited that I made it pain free, but then I saw the race clock and disappointment hit me hard.  I thought for sure I had done better than ever and yet the clock said 39:07 and I really kicked it into high gear.  Fortunately, this race was a chipped race.  The chip is on the back of our race bib, it is electronic and it starts as you cross the start line and stops as your cross the finish line.  Not every race is chipped.  If a race is not chipped, your start time is the time the gun goes off, and it could take you a minute or two just to get to the start line, then they rip your name off your bib and mark your time at the finish line. After Sindi, Mom, and Chelsea finished we headed over to the result tent.  This was the best result area ever, a little chaotic, but there were computers were you searched your bib number and your results popped up on the screen.  Every other race I have done, we were all crowded around a list taped to a wall.  So, much to my surprise my official finish time was 37:38.  This is a new personal record for me by :04. 

The only negatives from this BIG race were the crazy long lines at the port-a-potties, the post race refreshment tables, and at the result area.  I can deal with all of that, but I can't deal with not hearing or seeing my husband and kids at the finish line.  They are part of the reason, I do this, I want to be a healthy example for my kids.  Little did I know, even though I didn't see them, they saw me and my husband was able to get some finish line photos. 

So, while I may have lost my mind, I have found a healthier lifestyle, a healthy hobby, and a new PR!!


No comments:

Post a Comment